This portion of the website is devoted to information for climbers and mountaineers. It includes links to interesting information, articles, and videos from around the world, as well as, information from climbing gear companies, wilderness medicine journals, and other sources.
All the information that you see below is thoroughly vetted by our staff to ensure that it meets the current industry standards and/or is just interesting to read about. That said, we do not take responsibility for information not developed by Vertical Medicine Resources, and offer these resources as a courtesy to the climbing community. These links are provided for informational purposes only and should not be taken as an endorsement for products…we think that anybody who climbs, makes climbing gear, writes about climbing, thinks about climbing, or even dreams about climbing…is all good in our books!
Selected Writings and Publications from VMR Staff (with links if available):
- Beissinger JP, Millin MG. Technical Rescue Interface: Ski Patrols and Mountaineering Rescue in the Snow or Glaciated Environment. In: Hawkins, SC. Wilderness EMS. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 2018.
- Hawkins SC, Simon RB, Beissinger JP, Simon D. Suspension Syndrome: Hanging by a Thread (and a Rope). Emergency Medicine News. July 2017;39(7):29-30.
- Hawkins SC, Simon RB, Beissinger JP, Simon D. Vertical Aid: Essential Wilderness Medicine for Climbers, Trekkers, and Mountaineers. New York, NY: W.W. Norton/Countryman Press; 2017. (http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-1-58157-444-9/)
- Hawkins SC, ed. Wilderness EMS. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 2018.
- Millin MG, Hawkins SC. "Wilderness EMS." In Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America 2017: 35(2).
- Hawkins SC. Environmental Emergencies, in Caroline's Care in the Streets, 8e, Pollak A, Aehlert B, Elling B eds. Burlington: Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2017.
- Hawkins SC, Millin MG, Smith WR. Wilderness Emergency Medical Services and Response Systems, in Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine, 7e, Auerbach P, ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2017.
- Sempsrott J, Schmidt A, Hawkins SC, Cushing T. Submersion Injuries and Drowning, in Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine, 7e, Auerbach P, ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2017.
- Schmidt A, Sempsrott JR, Hawkins SC, Cushing TA, Arastu A, Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Drowning. Wilderness Environ Med. 2016 Jun;27(2):236-251.
- Hawkins SC. Setting the Record Straight to Reduce Fatalities in Sinking Vehicles. Emergency Medicine News. 2015;37(8):28-29.
- Cushing TA, Roberts WO, Hackett P, Dexter W, Brent J, Young C, Fudge J, Hawkins SC, Deloughery TG, Thomas BJ, Tabin G, Jacoby L, Asplund CA. General Considerations for the Wilderness Adventurer: medical conditions that may worsen with or present challenges to coping with wilderness exposure. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015;25(5):396-403.
- Millin MG, Hawkins SC, Demond T, Stiller G, McGinnis HD, Baker RJ, Smith WR. Wilderness Emergency Medical Services Medical Director Course: Core Content Developed with Delphi Technique. Wilderness Environ Med. 2015; S1080-6032(14)00254-3.
- Hawkins SC, Millin MG, Smith WS. Care in the Wilderness, in Emergency Medical Services: Clinical Practice and Systems Oversight, 2nd Edition (eds D. C. Cone, J. H. Brice, T. Delbridge and J. B. Myers). 2015: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, pp 377-391.
- Hawkins SC, Caudell MJ, DeLoughery TG, Murray W. Participation of iatrogenically coagulopathic patients in wilderness activities. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2013;24(3):257-266
- Hawkins SC, Weil C, Baty F, Fitzpatrick D, Rowell. Retrieval of Additional Epinephrine from auto-injectors. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2013;24(4).
- Hawkins SC, Weil C, Fitzpatrick D. Epinephrine autoinjector warning. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2012;23(4):371-372
- Hawkins SC. The relationship between ski patrols and Emergency Medical Services systems. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2012;23(2):106-111.
- Blanchard I, Brown L. Contributors: North American EMS Emissions Study Group (inc. Hawkins SC). Energy, emissions and Emergency Medical Services: policy matters. Energy Policy 46 (2012) 585–593.
- Hawkins SC, Sempsrott J. Drowning terminology. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2012;42(1):66-67.
- Warden C, Millin M, Hawkins SC, Bradley R. Medical direction of wilderness and other operational Emergency Medical Services programs. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2012;23(1):37-43.
- Abo B, Hawkins SC. The shocking reality of lightning: lightning emergencies. Wilderness Medical Society Community Education Slide Show Series, 2012.
- Hawkins SC. “Principles of Trauma” in Johe, ed, Outdoor Emergency Care 5e. Boston: Brady, 2011.
- Millin MG, Brown LH, Crave CK, Hawkins SC, et al. Evolution of the literature identifying physician’s roles in leadership, clinical development, and practice of the subspecialty of Emergency Medical Services. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2011;26(1):49.
- Lareau SA, Kyzer BD, Hawkins SC, McGinnis HD. Advanced wilderness life support education using high-technology patient simulation. Wilderness & Environmental Medicine 2010:21,166.
- Millin MG, Hawkins SC, Smith W, “Wilderness EMS”. In National Association of EMS Physicians Emergency Medical Services: Clinical Practice and Systems Oversight, Vol II: Medical Oversight of EMS. Kendall Hunt Professional, 2009:229-238.
- Hawkins SC. Mountain Rescue Doctor: Wilderness medicine in the extremes of nature, by Christopher van Tilburg [book review]. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 2009:20:1,89.
- Hawkins SC. “Wilderness EMS” in Aehlert B, Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond. St. Louis: Mosby-JEMS Elsevier, 2009.
- Mittelman KE, Hawkins SC. “Environmental Emergencies” in Aehlert B, Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond. St. Louis: Mosby-JEMS Elsevier, 2009.
- Millin MG, Craven C. Brown LH, Hawkins SC, Tan D, Piazza G, Sattin RW. The scientific basis underlying the subspecialty of EMS – a systematic review of the literature. National Association of EMS Physicians Annual Meeting, 2009.
- Hawkins SC, McGinnis H, Visser P. Organizing wilderness medicine on a regional scale. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 2008:19,305-309.
- Hawkins SC. Submersion injuries. Wilderness Medical Society Educational Lecture Series, 2008.
- Hawkins SC, Morgan S, Waller A, Winslow T, McCoy M. Effects of ground EMS and ED personnel on air medical trauma on-site times. Air Medical Journal 2001; 20(3): 32-36.
- Simon DA, Simon RB. Illness at High Altitudes (Cover/Feature article). Nursing. 2014; 44 (7): 36-42.
- Simon DA, Simon RB. Preparing for Travel to High Altitude Locations. Nursing. 2012; 42 (9): 66-67.
- Simon DA, Simon RB. The Nomadic Nurse. Lippincott's Nursing Career Directory. 2012; 112: 49.
- Simon DA, Simon RB. It all started on Kilimanjaro. Nursing. 2010; 40 (12): 44-47.
- Simon RB. Technical Rescue Interface: High Angle and Low Angle Rescue. In: Hawkins SC, ed. Wilderness EMS. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 2018
- Simon RB. West Nile virus. Nursing. 2017;48(8):61-63.
- Simon RB, Carpenetti TL. Zika virus: A New Threat (Cover/Feature/CE article). Nursing. 2016; 47(8):24-32.
- Simon RB. Bark Scorpion Envenomation. Critical Care Nursing. 2016; 11 (2): 44-47.
- Simon RB. Managing scorpion envenomation in children. Nursing. 2015; 46 (1): 13-15.
- Simon RB. Hidden danger: Non-Lyme tick-borne diseases (CE article). Nursing. 2013; 43 (9): 48-55.
- Simon RB. Making a case for wilderness medicine education (Cover/Feature article). Nursing. 2012; 42 (7): 32-35.
Non Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Beissinger JP, Hawkins SC. The Drone Dilemma: The Sky is Falling. Wilderness Medicine, February 10, 2015. Available at:http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1135/Drone-Dilemma.
- Beissinger JP. Is there an App for that? Can smartphone avalanche apps replace traditional avalanche beacons? Wilderness Medicine. April 2014: http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1102/Can-smartphone-avalanche-apps-replace-traditional-avalanche-beacons
- Davis CA, Hawkins SC. Common Injuries of 8 Winter Sports and Recreational Activities. Medscape Slideshow Series. January 19, 2017. Available at www.reference.medscape.com/features/slideshow/wintersports-injuries
- Jordahl N, Nackenson J, Hawkins SC. Medical support of wildland fire operations. Wilderness Medical Society Community Education Slide Show Series, 2016*. Available at http://wms.org/tradingpost/medical-support-to-wildland-fire-operations.
- Hawkins SC. "NC Wilderness EMS" quarterly column. NC Journal of Prehospital Care, 2014-present.
- Hawkins SC. Don’t take EMS contributions, heroism for granted. Morganton News Herald. June 2, 2013.
- Hawkins SC. The severely undervalued EMS worker in NC. Raleigh News & Observer. May 27, 2013.
- Sempsrott J, Schmidt A, Hawkins S, Bledsoe B. Silent Struggle: Drowning. Journal of EMS 2012; 37(7):60-77.
- Hawkins SC. Zen and the Art of Emergency Medicine. Emergency Medicine News 2012;34(5):2-3.
- Hawkins SC. The Best Wilderness Medicine Books: A Reading List (Vol I). Wilderness Medicine 2012;29(3):8-10.
- Hawkins SC. Carolina Wilderness EMS Externship. Wilderness Medicine 2012; 29(1): 31.
- Hawkins SC. Wilderness EMS Medical Director Course. Wilderness Medicine 2012; 29(1): 24.
- Hawkins SC. Dispatches from the field. Wilderness Medicine 2012; 29(1): 16.
- Cushing T, Hawkins SC, Semsprott J, Schoene B. “Chapter 75: Submersion Injuries and Drowning” in Wilderness Medicine, 6e, Auerbach P, ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2011.
- Hawkins SC. The Carolina Wilderness EMS Externship. American College of Emergency Physicians EMS-Prehospital Care Section Newsletter, September 2011.
- Hawkins SC. Contributor. Specialized Tactics for Operational Rescue and Medicine (STORM): Operator. Athens: University of Georgia Printing, 2011.
- Hawkins SC. Sourcing tactical EMS funding from counter-narcotics operations. NCTMA Newsletter 2011; 6(1):6.
- Hawkins SC. Ask the expert: survive on thin ice. Sierra Jan/Feb 2010.http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/201001/survive.aspx
- Hawkins SC. Table Rock rescue (revised). Wilderness Medicine 2009; 26(1):16-18.
- Hawkins SC. Table Rock rescue. ACEP Medical Humanities Newsletter 2008; 4(3).
- Hawkins SC. Emergency medicine narratives. ACEP Medical Humanities Section Newsletter 2005; 1(1):2.
- Hawkins SC. Morgan S, Waller A, Winslow T, McCoy M. Effects of ground EMS on aeromedical trauma scene times [abstract]. Fax: UNC Student Medical Journal 1998; 13(1): 45.
- Simon DA. Sport climber perceptions of stick clip use for the prevention of lead ground falls. Master's Thesis, University of Leicester, UK 2016.
- Simon DA. One Move Too Many...How to Understand the Injuries and Overuse Syndromes of Rock Climbing. [book review] Wilderness Medicine. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1021/Book-Reviews
- Simon RB. The Sharp End – bringing climbing accident education to your daily commute, run, or transatlantic flight. Wilderness Medicine. July 2017. https://wms.org/magazine/1210/Climbing-The-Sharp-End
- Simon RB. Level of wilderness first aid training and knowledge retention of climbers in the United States. Master's Thesis, University of Leicester, UK 2017.
- Simon RB. Skin Care for Climbers. Wilderness Medicine. December 2016. http://wms.org/magazine/1198/Climbing-Skin-Care
- Simon RB. "Essentials: Basic Injury Assessment" in Accidents in North American Climbing (ANAC). Golden, CO: American Alpine Club, 2016.
- Simon RB. A Mountaineer's Summer Reading List. August 2016. http://wms.org/magazine/1189/Summer-Reading-List
- Simon RB. Accidents in North American Mountaineering: A Resource for Climbers and Mountaineers. Wilderness Medicine. Dec 28, 2015. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1172/Climbing-ANAM
- Simon RB. "Essentials: Head Injuries" in Accidents in North American Mountaineering (ANAM). Golden, CO: American Alpine Club, 2015.
- Simon RB. Climbing Injuries: The Internet is no solution. Wilderness Medicine. July 25, 2015. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1156/Climbing-Internet-No-Solution
- Simon RB. Devastation in Nepal as 7.8 magnitude quake strikes just outside Kathmandu. (Breaking News). Wilderness Medicine. April 25, 2015. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1108/Breaking-Wilderness-Medicine-News
- Simon RB. Ropes to the Rescue: Climber Evacuation Techniques. Wilderness Medicine. March 2015. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1141/Climbing-Ropes-to-the-Rescue
- Simon RB. The 'Unspoken Rules' and 'Never Forgets': The Unspoken Rules of Climbing. Wilderness Medicine. January 2015. http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1130/Climbing-Unspoken-Rules
- Simon RB. The UIAA: Everything Mountaineering, Including Medicine - Featuring an Interview with David Hillebrandt, President, UIAA Medical Commission. Wilderness Medicine. October 2014: http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1119/Climbing-UIAA
- Simon RB. When Things Go Wrong. New River Gorge Adventure Guide. Spring/Summer 2014: 34.
- Simon RB. ac·ci·dent. Wilderness Medicine. January 2014:
- Simon RB. Are You Prepared? Ten Essentials for Adventure in the New River Gorge. New River Gorge Adventure Guide. Summer/Fall 2013: 29.
- Simon RB. Vertical Inclination: Climbing Medicine, An Introduction. Wilderness Medicine. August 2013: http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1068/Climbing-Medicine
- Simon RB. Death Grip: A Climber's Escape. Wilderness Medicine. June 2013: http://wildernessmedicinemagazine.com/1063/Death-Grip-A-climbers-escape.
- Simon RB. New River Gorge 911. New River Gorge Adventure Guide. Spring/Summer 2013: 28-29.
- Simon RB. Hiking and Biking in the New River Gorge: A Trail Users Guide. Silt, CO: Wolverine Publishing.
- Simon RB. Contributor. The Tip Line: Our best gear advice of all time. Climbing. [Gear tips] 2013; Issue 314, April 2013: 21-65.
- Simon RB. Treat an Injured Ankle. Climbing. 2013; Issue 313, March 2013: 76-77. http://www.climbing.com/skill/treat-an-injured-ankle/
- Simon RB. Frostbite. Climbing. 2012; Issue 311, December 2012/January 2013: 76. http://www.climbing.com/skill/prevent-and-treat-frostbite/
- Simon RB. Contributor. Climbing’s Guide to Self-Rescue. Climbing. [First aid tips and questionnaire] 2012; Issue 310, November 2012: 51-62.
- Simon RB. ABCDE of Assessment for Climbers. Climbing. 2012; Online, November 2012: http://www.climbing.com/skill/basic-first-aid-skills/
- Simon RB. The Coolest Trick I Know: The Rope Litter. Climbing. 2012; Issue 309, October 2012: 77. http://www.climbing.com/skill/the-rope-litter/
- Simon RB. Wales: Deep in Climbing, Steeped in History. Dead Point Magazine (DPM Climbing). 2012; Sept. 2012 – Nov. 2012: 39-42.
- Simon RB. Let my People go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman. [book review] Wilderness Medicine; 29 (2): 30.
- Simon RB. Bringing Wilderness Medicine to your Community: The Appalachian Center for Wilderness Medicine. Wilderness Medicine; 28(4): 29.
- Simon RB. Wilderness Medicine: Prepare Yourself for Living Abroad. EFAM: Living Abroad; May 2011.
- Simon RB. The Climb of My Life: Scaling Mountains with a Borrowed Heart. [book review] Wilderness Medicine; 28 (2): 28.
- Simon RB, Hawkins SC. "Essentials: Deep Water Soloing."in Accidents in North American Climbing (ANAC). Golden, CO: American Alpine Club, 2017.
Currently in Press
- Hawkins SC, Simon RB. Environmental Trauma I: Heat and Cold (Chapter 20). In: McSwain NE, ed. Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) 9th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby JEMS Elsevier; 2018. (Fall 2018)
Resource Library (other sources):
Climbing Medicine and Safety Topics
- American Mountain Guides Association (Climbing Fundamentals Video Series)
- British Mountaineering Council (BMC Medical Articles)
- MedEx - Medical Expeditions
- MedEx - Travel at High Altitude (Free Book)
- UIAA - Safety Commission
- UIAA Medical Commission
- UIAA Medical Advice and Recommendation
Climbing Organizations (National)
- Access Fund (USA)
- Alpine Club of Canada
- American Alpine Club
- American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA)
- British Mountaineering Council
- International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation (UIAA)
- The Japanese Alpine Club
- Mountain Club of South Africa
- New Zealand Alpine Club
Climbing Organizations (US - Regional)
- Chicago Mountaineering Club
- Illinois Climber's Association
- Ohio Climbers Coalition
- Minnesota Climbers Association
- Adirondack Mountain Club
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Connecticut Climbers and Mountaineers
- Crag Vermont
- Gunks Climbers' Coalition
- Ragged Mountain Foundation
- Western Massachusetts Climbers' Coalition
- Bushwhacker Climbing Club
- California Mountaineering Club
- Cragmont Climbing Club (San Francisco)
- The Mountaineers
- Rock Rendezvous
- Santiam Alpine Club
- Southern California Mountaineers Association
- Washington Alpine Club
- Washington Climbers Coalition
- Bighorn Climbers' Coalition
- Colorado Mountain Club
- Glacier Mountaineering Society
- Idaho Alpine Club
- Las Vegas Mountaineers Club
- Northern Colorado Climbers Coalition
- Rifle Climbers' Coalition
- Salt Lake Climbers Alliance
- Wasatch Mountain Club
- Western Colorado Climbers' Coalition
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Arkansas Climbers' Coalition
- Atlanta Climbing Club
- Carolina Climbers Coalition
- Mid Atlantic Climbers
- New River Gorge Alliance of Climbers
- Red River Gorge Climbers' Coalition
- The Southeastern Climbers Coalition
- Arizona Mountaineering Club
- Central Texas Mountaineers
- Los Alamos Mountaineers
- Texas Mountaineers
- Texas Mountain Raiders
Climbing Discussion Forums
Weather and Avalanche Information
- Avalanche.org - Take the online tutorial
- Climbing Weather - Weather at the Crags
- National Ski Patrol - Backcountry Avalanche Safety
- Northwest Avalanche Center
- US Forest Service National Avalanche Center
- Utah Avalanche Center - Avalanche Danger Scale
Gear Company Resources
The following links are to various climbing gear and apparel companies. The links offer a variety of useful information regarding products, care, training, and general knowledge. Enjoy!
- Arc'Teryx 'Product Care'
- Backcountry Access (BCA) 'Avalanche and Snow Safety Video Series'
- Black Diamond 'Avalanche Forecast Apps'
- Bluewater Ropes 'FAQS'
- Camp USA 'Product Highlights'
- DMM 'Knowledge'
- Edelrid 'User Manuals'
- Edelrid 'Recall'
- Edelrid 'Product Recall'
- Gore-Tex 'Care Center'
- La Sportiva ‘Crampons 101’
- Mammut ‘Know How’
- Metolius 'How To' Guides
- Metolius 'Product Manual PDFs'
- Omega Pacific 'Notices and Recalls'
- Outdoor Research 'Climbing Fundamentals and Verticulture Blog'
- Petzl 'Solutions'
- Rab 'Reference'
- Scarpa 'Resource Library'
- Sterling Rope 'Guide to Rope Engineering, Design, and Use'
- The North Face 'Product Care'
- Wild Country 'Videos and Downloads - Instructions'
Climbing Magazines, Literature, and Blogs
The following links are to various climbing magazines. Climbing Magazine and Rock and Ice both have areas dedicated to climbing medicine skills and techniques and are worth a look.
- Alpinist (United States)
- Climb (United Kingdom)
- Climber (United Kingdom)
- Climberism (United States - Northeast)
- Climbing Magazine (United States)
- Dead Point (DPM) Climbing (United States)
- Gripped (Canada)
- Rock (Australia)
- Rock and Ice (United States)
- Rock and Ice - "Climb Safe" Series
- SA Mountain (South Africa)
- Academy of Wilderness Medicine (WMS)
- Adventure Medic (Magazine)
- Hawk Ventures (Wilderness EMS)
- Wilderness Medical Society
- Wilderness Medicine (Magazine)
- Wilderness and Environmental Medicine (Journal)